Monday, June 23, 2008

First Summer Volunteer Event

I worked for this big company's picnic on this past weekend. It was my first summer Red Cross volunteer event this year.The weather was wonderful in this past first summer weekend. It was more like a fall weekend since the temperature was only around 75'F. I have never worked for this event before since it was quite far away and almost took me about an hour drive one way to get to the event location from my place. But I heard that they had great food so I decided to give it a try. I was told to get to the place at 9am so I left around 8am and got there on time. However, nobody else from the Red Cross was there. I waited for almost an hour and still nobody came. One victim walked in to ask for care of his bleed hand but the people supposed to bring in the equipment were not there so I could not do anything. I was wondering around and saw them build this huge BBQ griller. It would be used to grill up the lunch for almost 8000 employees and their families.

After waiting for another 30 minutes, the Red Cross van finally showed up in the front of the first aid station. And they just decided to arrive late without noticing me. Anyway, it was one of the biggest company picnic I have ever seen. They served the lunch buffet style. The menu included roast chicken, sausages, hot dogs, potato salad, roasted corn, all you can drink beer, soda, water, ice cream, and water melon. In addition, there were so many entertainments for kids including 10 different kinds of big inflatable toys, train carts, mini-golf, pony rides, and water slides. They also hired a X-game group with about 10 guys to show all the fancy bike tricks including the 360 flip in the air. Of course, good opportunity for us to wait there to be ready to save them in case they made a mistake in the show. The whole picnic went well and quite uneventful until the end of my shift. The people for the next shift of course were late. While I was staying 30 minutes longer to wait for the next shift to show up, a kid broken his leg from one of the inflatable slider. I rushed to the scene and worked with the EMT staff and had him sent to the hospital by an ambulance. I think the poor kid will have to spend at least 2/3 of his summer in bed to recover. That made me almost to stay 1.5 hour late from my shift. Well, at least, I enjoyed a good lunch meal.

No comments: