Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Might have to abandon the job offer from NYC area
Finally, a good job offer came in yesterday. It is from a big medical equipment company. Their main product is this system that mix and analyze the blood and body fluid samples with different agents for the lab test.
The working enviroment is great there and most of the people I interviewed with last week were all nice decent people. And it looks that they are not slaved as badly as my previous company (another medical corporate starting with a big "G"). The office area is nice and the living enviroment is not bad there either. However, it is very expensive for the real eastate since it is only 30 minutes outside NYC.
I went through the relocation package quickly last night. Unfortunately, it is not a good package. The company contracted a real estate company to sell the house for the new employee. However, if the house cannot be sold in 30 days (which is no way in the bad house market like now), the company can decide the lower price for selling the house. Since I am not a rich guy who can afford some real estate company to cut $20,000 to $30,000 of my house price just for the sake of selling the house, I am not sure if I will take the job. Besides, the house price is triple in NYC compared to Milwaukee here. The 2-bedroom and 2-bath condo which costs about $260,000 in Milwaukee will be $750,000 in NYC. That means that I will have to move from a 2-bedroom to a covered parking lot in NYC if I can sell my condo and move to the NYC. In addition, I only got $20,000 more in pay from that company. It just cannot cover the living expense. And the double moratge is just not possible for me.
It looks like I just have to abandon that offer and look for something else. Sigh.
Hope that the other job from big old "G" company will come soon. The HR manager is still in Asia this week so hope that he will speed up the process next week when he is back. This is really the most annoyed summer since I move to here.