Friday, July 20, 2007

My Weight Lifting Story (Part I)


Looks like that lots of people are heading back to the gym and lift weights recently, e.g. Rob and Moby. Compared to those big boys, I am just a small guy. However, I have been doing the weight training for more than 10 years now and I have been known pretty strong in my size . I weigh about 165lb and can flat bench 235lb and squat 350 lb easily for 5 reps. By the way, that's just a teasing pose picture of me.

I was always just average build when I was a kid. I came from a military family and one of my uncles was a police officer(now a sheriff) so there was no lack of physical act ivies/training since I was young. I have been trained in different form of martial arts since I was 5 years old: judo, shoaling boxing, self-defense, ground wrestling, etc. Especially, when I joined army later, there was just endless physical training such as the daily 5-mile run. But as you can imagine, most of those are cardio stuff. I was built more like a Bruce Lee kind of slim tight body. I always wondered how did those guys in American movies and TV series could get those big arms and chest (later I know, it is part of gene, too!)

There was actually no weight lifting facility back then and nobody knew what a "gym" was back home. There were some bodybuilders and weightlifters training in some personal basement or warehouse setup but it was hard to locate those places and most of them were not open to public. So, martial arts and 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups per day were the main exercise I did back in my teens and army days.

Then, I decided to come to US to attend the college. That's how I started to get into the weight lifting. Lunch time! To be continued....

No comments: